Are you eligible for free study in New Zealand?
You can study for one year for free if you have not undertaken more than half a year of full-time tertiary education (0.5 equivalent full-time student (EFTS) or 60 credits) at level 3 or above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF).
We’ve selected some scholarships and funding options you may be interested in below.
Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund – TTAF (Tertiary Education Commission)
The TTAF will cover fees from 1 July 2020 until 31 December 2022 and will be paid directly to tertiary education providers. It is targeted towards industries where demand for certain skills is strong.
Training and apprenticeships are being offered in these areas:
- Primary Industries, e.g. agriculture, horticulture and viticulture, fisheries, and forestry.
- Road Transport, e.g. vehicle operations only (truck driving licencing).
- Community support, e.g. community support, including youth work, care for elderly, and community health. Community health includes mental health, addiction support, cleaning (within community health), enrolled nursing, learning to teach New Zealand Sign Language to others, and training teacher aides.
- Construction, e.g. building, plumbing, and civil engineering.
- Electrical Engineering
- Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering
- Information Technology, e.g. cybersecurity, technical support, and web development.
- Conservation, e.g. freshwater management, biodiversity and biosecurity training needs that support the Jobs for Nature initiative.
Click here to see education providers for your industry.
Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) Scholarships
The Auckland Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) Scholarship programme is an initiative to encourage young Māori and Pasifika people to gain trade qualifications, New Zealand apprenticeships and employment.
If you are aged between 16-40 years old, you could be eligible.
This scholarship entitles you to:
- free* tuition fees for the 2021 academic year
- ‘navigator’ support to help guide and support you into a job in the trades
- a work readiness programme that will successfully prepare you into long term employment.
These programmes are eligible for MPTT in 2021:
- Automotive technologies
- Baking and patisserie
- Carpentry, scaffolding, brick and block laying
- Electrical trades
- Hospitality (barista, café, and restaurant)
- Mechanical engineering trades
- Plumbing, gasfitting and drainlaying
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
Click here for more on MPTT Scholarships.
To contact the MPTT team – call 022 068 9290 or email [email protected]